Thermoformed Plastic Trays
Universal Plastics has expertise in manufacturing a wide range of custom thermoformed plastic trays for a variety of applications. From disposable trays for packaging, or re-useable and washable industrial drip trays, plastic shipping trays or even material handling applications, we have over 50 years of practical experience to help you find the best design for your application.
Universal does not stock any standard plastic trays and we do not sell products “off the shelf”. All of our plastic trays are custom manufactured to your specifications. We welcome the opportunity to quote on your custom plastic trays so that you can see if this is an appropriate option for you.
Our typical tolerances are +/- .025 (depending on the material) on formed features, and +/- .060 on the perimeter trimming.
Universal Plastics has made thermoformed plastic trays across a variety of industries including, but not limited to, the following:
- Consumer Products
Thermoformed custom plastic trays have a multitude of uses, and can range from something as simple as a flat, one cavity part for holding a particular product, to a multi-cavity design for several pieces which go together, or a precisely organized thermoformed shape which can be used to house and protect expensive and fragile items. Friction fits, indentations, snaps and undercuts can be used to custom fit the product.
Some common applications of custom thermoformed plastic trays are:
- Disposable shipping trays can be used to provide protection at a low cost when shipping fragile equipment
- Custom packaging trays are used to ship multiple parts in an organized manner. They are easy to load & unload, nestable, re-usable and an efficient packaging option
- Heavy gauge trays are used to handle sensitive materials and components. Anti-static and ESD protection can be used to protect expensive electronic equipment or can be used for transporting manufactured components within a facility and can be designed to optimize size and stacking capabilities
- Thermoformed material handling trays offer a low cost solution for containing and protecting sensitive materials used during the manufacturing process within the plant for
- Trays can be used in conjunction with other packaging material including cartons, boxes or corrugated packaging
Thermoformed custom plastic trays can be made in a variety of materials which have a range of properties. The most frequently used materials for thermoformed trays are PVC, HDPE, PE, PETG, HIPS and RPET. Other properties, based on the material selected, are as follows:
- Durability, resistance to impact or abrasion
- Ability to withstand harsh chemicals
- Formable in a variety of colors and textures
- Resistance to hot or cold temperatures
- Flame retardant grades (UL84-V0)
- Highly cosmetic
Some of the benefits of using a thermoformed custom plastic tray are as follows:
- Easy to clean
- Survive well in tough environments
- Low cost
Our Expertise in Thermoformed Plastic Trays:
We specialize in making custom thermoformed plastic material handling trays for a wide variety of end uses. Thermoformed plastic trays can be designed to withstand harsh chemicals and heavy abuse. We use a wide variety of plastic materials which can be easy to clean, exhibit excellent chemical resistance, and offer good impact resistance so that they survive in a rough environment. Our disposable shipping trays offer low cost protection for sensitive components, while the thicker gauges trays offer durability for material handling & automation use.
Plastic trays are one of the oldest uses for thermoformed polyethylene — and for good reason. Experienced users know their toughness and cost effectiveness. With thermoforming, custom material handling and plastic drip trays are more affordable than ever. Low volumes are not a problem, and shouldn’t deter you from considering a custom plastic tray. Our affordable tooling costs can get you the plastic tray you need in as little as 4 weeks.
- ISO 9001:2008 Registered
- In-house Engineering team offers design service and support from inception through manufacturing
- In-house Tooling offers speed of production, convenience, and the assurance that it will get done right the first time
- State of the art manufacturing facilities in two sites with several multi-axis routing machines; warehousing services such as KanBan and dock-to-stock are offered
- Over 50 years of experience in manufacturing custom plastic thermoformed trays
- Worked with a variety of plastic materials – if it is formable, we can do it
Applications of Thermoformed Plastic Trays:
Universal Plastics makes a wide variety of thermoformed plastic trays. Some applications include:
- Material Handling Trays
- Pick & Place Trays
- Plastic Shipping Trays
- Part Protection Trays
- ESD protection Trays
- Food Packaging Trays
- Retail Packaging Trays
- Automation Trays
- Bakery Trays
- Medical Trays
- Drip Trays
- Dunnage Trays
- Packaging Trays
In-line thermoforming is an ideal process for higher volume plastic material handling, shipping and drip trays.
We’ve been meeting customers’ needs for 40 years with precision, low cost trays that protect against expensive shipping and handling damage. The most common use is as a shipping tray which protects expensive electronic, medical, or precision machined components. They can be both stackable and nestable, and we can even add ESD protection for sensitive electronic components.
Another very common in-line thermoforming application is drip trays. Low cost thermoformed HDPE or Polypropylene trays can capture caustic chemicals and prevent corrosion to expensive equipment.
Whether you need a custom plastic tray in low volume or high volume, contact us today to discuss your ideas